Monday, November 17, 2008

Contentment

As I have sat down here to have my time with the Lord it is very peaceful in my house. Bella is down for the night, and there is only the slight hum of the dishwasher. I have sat here thinking and meditating on Gods word. Especially this verse - "But godliness with contentment is great gain." 1Timothy 6:11 I began to think of all of the things that I have told God lately that I am either disappointed or rather discontented with. I was reading the other day in a devotional about this very topic.
My favorite quote... " If you are not satisfied or content with what you already have you will not satisfied with what you are begging God for either once you have attained it."
How true is that... I mean how many times have we thought.. " I would be happy if..." It reminds me of shopping (did I mention I really like to do that?? - but what girl doesn't?). You know.. like shopping for a new outfit. You leave the house thinking 'OK.. if I can just find that WOW dress for this wedding that would be great!' You get to the store and by outfit #32 you find the perfect one. So with all well intended purpose you head to make your purchase. As you are headed there all of the sudden the perfect little denim jacket that just happens to be on the model right by the checkout, is staring at you. Now you are no longer thinking about the perfect dress that is in your arms, you are thinking of the jacket you wish you could get out of line to try on.
How many times do we do this with our life? I would be happy if.... God would let me get pregnant... if... I could just hold my baby again.... if ..... I could have a bigger house.... a better car... make more money.... if my child would just obey..... if I could sleep...

Please hear my heart here. Every single one of those things I have thought and felt. If we could just get a hold of the truth of what we do have and learn to be content. Think of how happy our daily life would be.
Instead of "I would be happy if " we need to say " I am happy and content because"

So here goes... I am content and happy because ...
God has given me the privilege to carry 4 children ..
I am content to know that 3 of the 4 are in the presence of the Awesome God .
I am content because I can hold Isabella and share Gods goodness with her.
I am content because God has given me a house to make a haven for my family.
I am content because we have plenty of room in our van for Isabella and any other purchase I might make while out shopping ( you know I had to put that in!).
I am content that my God shall supply all of my needs.
I am content in the truth "train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I pray that this post will inspire you to look at contentment in a new way and discover the great gain of Godliness with contentment!

Love,
Michelle

2 comments:

Amanda Hoyt said...

Amen, Michelle. You said it perfectly. I too wish I could stop asking God for things (mostly another baby) and just live my very blessed life with my family. I am praying now for God to give us peace to our troubled hearts and minds so that our contentment would be ever present.
Hugs and prayers,
Amanda

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

What happened to 3 of the 4 children?